Monday, May 23, 2011

NYC Part 1: Left Behind

Our inspiration for the title comes from the series alluding to the end of the world and being left behind. Well, the world didn't end on May 21, 2011, but many things were left behind. Kelly has often reminded me during our first year of marriage that if my head wasn't attached, I would forget it. Unfortunately, that forgetfulness served us poorly for our New York trip.

We should have realized very early in our trip we'd forget things. Our friend Tim dropped us off at the airport, and I quickly realized I didn't have my cell phone. No big deal because it's a lame flip phone, but Kelly looked through her purse and then stated she'd left hers at home, too. I asked a random guy to borrow his phone and despite his reluctance, he allowed it. I told him "you don't have to let me use it; I can ask someone else." I was able to call my own phone which Tim answered and within a few minutes Tim came back with phone in hand.

After getting through security, we were talking about forgetting the phone, and I realized that was not all we had forgotten. We had left the show tickets and Yankees-Mets tickets on the coffee table at home. We didn't have time to go get the tickets and thanks to free wifi at the Augusta airport, I frantically attempted to come up with plan B. I exhausted all efforts...I called the seller (who was on vacation), Ticketmaster, ebay, I even called the Yankees! And in a final attempt I called AMEX and inquired about the purchase protection policy...tickets are excluded.

So in summary:
What Cary forgot-cell phone (initially), rain jacket or umbrella, show tickets, baseball tickets
What Kelly forgot- cell phone
Luckily, I was able to re-print the show tickets online so other than the rain gear (it rained every day) and the baseball tickets, all was salvageable. We went to see Chicago starring Christie Brinkley and it was a great show. We sat on the 2nd row and other than the guy in front of me telling us he got his tickets for much less, all was good. I guess it turned out OK we didn't go to the Yankees-Mets as a repeat scenario may have occurred.


Keep reading over the next couple of weeks for the next 3 posts on NYC.

The Empire State Building

No comments:

Post a Comment